This chapter is the beginning of how I was duped by Ranjeet. Ranjeet was the founder director of a company called Tri Capital Ventures Sdn Bhd. He did insinuate that Tri Capital Ventures has some links with a UK fund with similar name. It did not mean much to me then (perhaps it should have!)
Ranjeet had always come to see me in chauffer driven luxurious cars (BMW 7 Series and Mercedes S-Class among others). He was so polite, well-mannered and quite charming (silly me, now I realise that these are all traits of smooth criminals). We spoke casually about the country, about Pak Lah and about how economy generally is getting better. He also mentioned to me that his wife is also a medical doctor and that he looks forward to seeing his children become doctors too. He genuinely seem to look up to what I have achieved.
After several meetings & conversations, and frankly I didn’t even realise when exactly, Ranjeet started talking about investment opportunity that he has. He claimed he ran few successful micro credit companies namely Asoke, G&P Solutions and G&P Resources and that he makes tons of money. He wants to offer opportunity to fellow doctors who are working hard for the country and often do not get recognised. Long story short, I started investing with Ranjeet in the tune of few hundreds of thousands and it was all going so well. He would personally bank in monthly dividends into my bank account before even I remember it’s due. There was this one time, he came to my house in rain just to pass me the bank-in slip that he had banked in the dividends to my account.
All these impressed me. But I am just a medical doctor and being impressed of a conman pretending to be a good man was my greatest regret. Without wasting another day after seeing my blind faith in his capabilities, Ranjeet asked me to introduce other doctors who may be keen to invest and I, regrettably obliged. I introduced many doctors to him and quite a number of them invested in his scheme knowing that I had done the same prior. I think collectively, we mostly doctors from Malacca, had invested more than $20mil RM in his schemes. Ranjeet continued to visit me and other doctors in Malacca every so often and everything was going fine until it was no longer. The dividends started being delayed and he started giving excuses about troubles in Tri Capital Ventures. Somehow being a bit of a loyalist myself, I believed him with all his excuses and did not think much then until it was too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment